Image Map

Friday, June 10, 2011

Cream of Asparagus Soup



I have some terrible news people.  Yesterday morning was going so well, until I went to dry my hair.  My favorite (only), trusty hair dryer was working its magic until it decided it had enough.  With half wet hair, my hair dryer coughed, sputtered and exhaled one final hot breath, then died.  I tried shaking it, pushing buttons, turning it on and off.  Even the tried and true electronic fix of unplugging and pluggin back in did nothing. 

I am now mourning the loss of my hair dryer.  I am also looking all sorts of crazy.  I guess the one bright side of no longer owning a functioning hair dryer (I like to call it an art piece right now) is that I leave the house twenty minutes earlier in the morning.  WIN?
 

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Okay everyone, here is the healthy food I've been promising all week.  I loved this soup with its mild asparagus flavor and hit of season with the white pepper.  Just be sure to use evaporated skim milk and NOT sweetened condensed milk, that would be gross.  This soup is also super healthy and low in calories (only 200 per serving!), enjoy it with some crusty bread!  You'll be seeing that delicious bread next week!

1 pound asparagus, trimmed & cut into 1-inch pieces
4 medium potatoes, diced
2 medium onions, diced
4 cups vegetable stock
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 tsp salt
16 oz evaporated skim milk

Combine all ingredients except evaporated milk.  Bring to a boil and cook for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.

Either use your immersion blender and puree the soup right in the pot, or transfer the solids and some liquid to your blender or food processor.  Puree until totally smooth.

Return to the pot and bring to a boil.  Add milk.  Give the soup a taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails