Image Map

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Greta Bars

This year for Christmas I asked for only one cookbook. If you've seen my collection, then you know that this is a strange occurrence. I love getting new cookbooks and spending my weekends reading through them. Whether it's to get new ideas for dinner, gain blogging inspiration or to just look at the pretty pictures, I have a massive collection of cookbooks.

The cookbook I requested this year was Milkbar Life, by Christina Tosi. I already own her original cookbook and have baked my way through a good portion of it. I have also taken three of her baking classes in Brooklyn and fell in love with her food attitude. Milkbar Life promised simpler recipes with delicious results. 

Christina didn't lie.


I decided to break in the cookbook by trying out The Greta. A classic sugar cookie bar from her mothers kitchen, these cookies are heaven. Just barely under-baked and covered in a serious amount of sprinkles, this pan of cookies quickly disappeared from my kitchen.


While I probably won't try every single recipe in the book (Hanky-pankies on page 24? No, thanks), many of the recipes are classic, grandma approved recipes. I think the boyfriend will be a big fan of this book, the food isn't fancy or pretentious.

Now excuse me while I go finish off the last of these cookies...

One Year Ago: Sauteed Chicken and Pears
Two Years Ago: Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies
Three Years Ago: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Yogurt Popsicles
Four Years Ago: Poffertjes: Cheese Pancakes
Five Years Ago: Orange Chiffon Cupcakes



The Greta
From Milkbar LIFE

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Sprinkles (I used these!)

Grease 9x13-inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 °F.

Cream together butter and sugar on high for about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add eggs, vanilla and oil. Mix on medium speed until incorporated. Scrape down the bowl. Add 1 cup of flour, kosher salt and baking soda. Mix on low. Add remaining flour, one cup at a time.

Spread cookie batter into the prepared baking pan. Level out with an offset spatula. Cover top of the batter with as many sprinkle as you would like.

Bake cookie for 25-30 minutes, depending on how "done" you would like your cookie to be. I like a softer cookie, so I baked mine for 27 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan. Cut into 2-inch squares and enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails